Good Cop vs. Bad Cop NonProfit Lobbying
- Where are you in the education process of gaining support for your cause? Have you been caught by surprise by a legislative initiative contrary to your mission and there's little time to react? If this is the case, then perhaps you may have no other choice than to play the "Bad Cop" role. Keep in mind however that playing this role too often can burn bridges. The most successful nonprofit lobbying associations are those that position themselves as solution providers, not constant complainers.
- Getting your ducks in line: How well developed are your stakeholder relations? Making sure you have the appropriate linkages and enough trust built between all parties will be critical in making the judgement call of whether it is appropriate to go negative or positive in lobbying.
What has been your experience?
Mark Buzan, APR is Principal and Chief Magnifying Officer in Action Strategies, a specialist grassroots and lobbying advocacy consultancy for nonprofit associations.
- Election 2011: What does it mean for NonProfit Lobbying?
- Canada’s New Cabinet Ministers: A call to renew NonProfit Lobbying
- Good Marketing = Good Lobbying
- What Can Our Grassroots Advocacy and Public Relations Services Deliver?
- Reconnecting with Government Officials and Lobbying Contacts for Non-Profit Organizations